Scripture doodles are probably my most loved journal elements. Most probably because I received beautiful moments of revelation on it. In my 2020 journal, it was the Holy Spirit’s most used journaling weapon to warn me, to encourage me, to teach me about hidden things and so much more.
Definition and discussion of Inference
a conclusion or opinion that is formed because of known facts or evidence(Meriam Webster)
The word “inference” derives from Latin roots that signify “to gather”.(Christian courier)
An inference is a conclusion made by the deduction of facts.
Inferencing is a classroom strategy that especially language teachers use to comprehend better and to gain more background and information to substantiate assumptions made. As a language teacher, I teach my learners how to use inferencing when we study literary texts, read texts to answer questions, or even when reading for fun. Many times clues within a text lead the way to make in the context assumptions about the characters, setting, time, their emotions, and many other areas.
Inferencing is also a foundation tool to teach or establish higher-order thinking. So, why not make use of this skill when doing a bible study! Specifically, a Doodle Bible study. A doodle bible study might be seen as a silly or insignificant way to go about studying the word of God, but it mostly depends on higher-order thinking! The focus is not so much on how pretty you draw, but the hidden messages of the Holy Spirit.
” … and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. “Jeremiah 33:3
When to make inferences
Inferences are being made at a certain level of reading and understanding as I discussed in: a visual bible study. At our first read, we get to know the text. In our second read, we gather more information and then we move into making inferences in reading 3, based on the information we gained in reading 2.Making inferences in a bible study requires studying the facts and cannot rely on our own understanding. Of course, we have a Helper teaching and guiding us!
You can read more about it here :
Types of inferences.
Inductive inferences start with an observation and expand into a general conclusion or theory.
Deductive inferences are the opposite. The process of deductive inference starts with a general theory and then hones in on a specific observation or confirmation
Inferences made by biblical characters
There are numerous examples to showcases, but how do we identify inferences in scripture?
Inference usually flows out of a previous statement and starts with "therefore".
Examples from scripture
“Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness” (2Pet. 3:11)
“Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.”(Gen.12:12)
The above words of Abraham came just after these:“Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon”
Inference during a doodle study
Inferencing through the doodling of scripture can give better insight into scripture. Remember that inferences become clearer with reading and concluding within the context.
Know the basics before concluding.
1.WHO are the people in the text?
2.WHAT are they doing?
3.WHERE are they?
Getting into higher-order questions
The answers to these questions give us a glimpse into the character’s thoughts and actions. Sometimes knowledge of history is very helpful when making biblical inferences.
With doodle scripture studies we learned messages from:
- Using keywords
- Making use of Bible background
- Using color
- Asking relevant questions
- Drawing conclusions
- November Prayer Journal ReviewEveryone’s excited for the holidays to arrive and to some, it’s already a time to be on the rollercoaster of pleasure. Basically, everyone is preparing to receive guests, be a guest somewhere else, or prepare a getaway. No problem with pleasure though, but for those who are seeking God, discipline takes on a higher priority […]
- The activation of a kingdom assignmentA Visual Bible Study Surprisingly, the first visual Bible study I completed, was also set on women as forerunners of the kingdom revelations and insight. Although the apostles did not believe that Jesus appeared to these women, Jesus chose them to intercede for the cause of the kingdom of heaven on earth. He also gave […]
- Rookie Journaling Activities for NovemberPeople start to engage in journaling for different reasons. Some only do it for fun and to have a hobby, but others engage in it because they are looking for a way out of difficult situations. Others might be interested in journaling for a fresh start and a new perspective. Well, whatever the reason, it […]
- A Key Month⚓November on stage! The year is at its end and things are going really fast. For most people, it is a time to make preparations for the holidays or Christmas. November comes with its full capacity and favor of heaven to be released on earth, in our lives and the lives of our loved ones. […]
- The significance and benefits of handwritten journalsWhether people experience happiness, difficult times, or new opportunities, many decide to start journaling. Journals become a place where they can speak out, be inspired, find self-acceptance, direction, and motivation. Like many others, I got activated in journaling, specifically prayer journaling, during the beginning of Covid 19. What is the difference between starting and being […]