Scripture doodles are probably my most loved journal elements. Most probably because I received beautiful moments of revelation on it. In my 2020 journal, it was the Holy Spirit’s most used journaling weapon to warn me, to encourage me, to teach me about hidden things and so much more.
Definition and discussion of Inference
a conclusion or opinion that is formed because of known facts or evidence(Meriam Webster)
The word “inference” derives from Latin roots that signify “to gather”.(Christian courier)
An inference is a conclusion made by the deduction of facts.
Inferencing is a classroom strategy that especially language teachers use to comprehend better and to gain more background and information to substantiate assumptions made. As a language teacher, I teach my learners how to use inferencing when we study literary texts, read texts to answer questions, or even when reading for fun. Many times clues within a text lead the way to make in the context assumptions about the characters, setting, time, their emotions, and many other areas.
Inferencing is also a foundation tool to teach or establish higher-order thinking. So, why not make use of this skill when doing a bible study! Specifically, a Doodle Bible study. A doodle bible study might be seen as a silly or insignificant way to go about studying the word of God, but it mostly depends on higher-order thinking! The focus is not so much on how pretty you draw, but the hidden messages of the Holy Spirit.
” … and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. “Jeremiah 33:3
When to make inferences
Inferences are being made at a certain level of reading and understanding as I discussed in: a visual bible study. At our first read, we get to know the text. In our second read, we gather more information and then we move into making inferences in reading 3, based on the information we gained in reading 2.Making inferences in a bible study requires studying the facts and cannot rely on our own understanding. Of course, we have a Helper teaching and guiding us!
You can read more about it here :
Types of inferences.
Inductive inferences start with an observation and expand into a general conclusion or theory.
Deductive inferences are the opposite. The process of deductive inference starts with a general theory and then hones in on a specific observation or confirmation
Inferences made by biblical characters
There are numerous examples to showcases, but how do we identify inferences in scripture?
Inference usually flows out of a previous statement and starts with "therefore".
Examples from scripture
“Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness” (2Pet. 3:11)
“Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.”(Gen.12:12)
The above words of Abraham came just after these:“Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon”
Inference during a doodle study
Inferencing through the doodling of scripture can give better insight into scripture. Remember that inferences become clearer with reading and concluding within the context.
Know the basics before concluding.
1.WHO are the people in the text?
2.WHAT are they doing?
3.WHERE are they?
Getting into higher-order questions
The answers to these questions give us a glimpse into the character’s thoughts and actions. Sometimes knowledge of history is very helpful when making biblical inferences.
With doodle scripture studies we learned messages from:
- Using keywords
- Making use of Bible background
- Using color
- Asking relevant questions
- Drawing conclusions
- Changing our minds about habitsDecoding the patterns of habits Our lives consist of so many different habits, both good and bad. Sometimes the scale weighs more on the bad side! Whatever you feed grows! Whatever you practice gain skill and can become your master! With the start of a new year, many people(including)myself start reviewing their habits, trying to […]
- Power Punch Series: LaunchPhoto by cottonbro from Pexels Daily renewal of the mind Starting the new year !Need a jump start?Well, I thought mind renewal would be the ideal spiritual – and mental activity to get started amongst other activities. I’ve decided to write a series about it and go on this journey myself . Set your minds on things that […]
- Declarations to build up the new yearA Prophetic Declaration of Rest I started with a grand entrance to 2021 and possessing the gate of your year, and now I’m taking on a series for January, The entry to 2022- Prepare. Just another year! NO WAY! Every day of this year is a day that the Lord has MADE! Preplanned with schedules, […]
- Rising forcePhoto by Tara Winstead from Pexels Saturday Praise Poetry I rise expectantlyThat the sun will appearAlthough the fog may blog outIts rays;I know it’s out-Aligning in its place,At its appointed time. Long, long before the sun,You were thereAnd break through the realm of the earth,just like the sun breaks forth into the new day,You rose!With unstoppable force.Bringing to […]
- How hurdles accelerated me to a new seasonBlog and Prayer Journal Review: 2021 Have you ever wondered about the hurdles in your life race, sometimes suddenly appearing out of nowhere? I was taught so many valuable lessons, in a year I was introduced to hurdles. As I was going back on my journey, I realized how the spiritual hurdles were crucial and […]